Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Rearranged! Take that herd bound boy!

Yep, Mr. Johnny Cash has been rearranged! I spent several hours yesterday moving his living quarters to the other end of the barn. FAR FAR AWAY from the horses we frequently travel to shows with. I am looking into turning him out with horses that never leave the property just to distance them even further!

I took him out for a trail ride Tuesday. He was a good boy. We rode about a mile from the barn, stopped at A's arena and did some trot work, visited with Harley's mom and Snappy the Arab. Came back via the canals and back roads of our neighborhood. (The only jerk who didn't slow down or give us room was the mail man of all people. I was waiting for him today when he dropped the mail. He won't soon do it again. I bet he gives horses in the neighborhood a wide birth from now on.)  I had my horse back.. He was same ol same ol LAZY JOHNNY!  Never had to argue and hardly spooky at all. Funny the things that do get snorts. Like pine cones...really? You live with them in the pasture but somehow on a trail the look scary?

I am hoping that doing these things will help him be more independent and less reliant on his buds at the barn when we go to shows.  I can't believe how he acted at the show last weekend and I am in no rush to repeat it! Any suggestions on helping  herd bound horses be,  well,   less herd or buddy bound?

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you made the right move with your horse. Such a pleasure when they are comfortable on a trail ride.

    ReplyDelete